Sunday 9 February 2014

Smokey eye tutorial!

Hey guys, a beauty post for you today! 

I have entered the eye makeup competition run by Next Route Style and I thought I would share with you the look that I entered into the runnings. 
So basically I chose the classic dark smokey eye look that I tend to do for the majority of the nights out I have while at uni. 
For this look you will need: 

  • Any sort of eye shadow palette that includes dark browns, light browns, blacks, and maybe even a colour for highlighting. I used the Naked 2 palette. 
  • Black eyeliner, I used Collection Extreme black felt tip liner.
  • Mascara, I used Collection No Clumps mascara.
  • Fake eyelashes (optional).
  • Some tape, either masking tape or Sellotape.
To start of this look you will need to take a piece of tape and place it on the back of your hand and take it off. Repeat this step a few times so that the tape loses its sticking power! This step is important as you don't want to apply it straight to your face as once its ready to be removed it will pull off the makeup (foundation, primer, etc.) that you have already put on your skin. Very time consuming and annoying to correct! Once you have done this, apply the piece of tape under the eye towards the hairline (pictured). The point of using tape is to allow for an accurate cat eye look and to catch any falling pieces of shadow. Once you have aligned the tape to your satisfaction you can start!






















I started off by applying a light brown (a few shades darker than my skin tone) to my lid and along the (cat eye) wing. This will be the base.


The next few steps are all about layering. Start off with the lighter browns and layer the shadow onto the lash line, crease and winged corner of the eyelid. Repeat this step a few more times but with darker browns and then finally end with a black. It is important to use little shadow and lots of layers as you do not want to apply too much as its difficult to correct. Better to be safe than sorry. Don't want to end up looking like you have two black eyes. Not a good look!

Now its time to carefully peel off the tape and you will (hopefully) see a nice straight line.

Next is the eyeliner, lashes and mascara. For the liner, draw on your top lash line and along the winged eyeshadow to create a cat eye look. Apply the lashes as stated on the packet and apply a small amount of mascara to the bottom lashes to even it out. 

Highlight the brow bone and the inner corner of your eyes and you're good to go!



Not to forget, if you enjoyed this look then please go onto the Next Route Style blog and vote for me to win please! All you have to do is comment "Sophie Robinson" on their post, CLICK HERE to do just that!

Note: Ends Sunday 16th Feb

UPDATE: I made the cut thanks a lot guys! Unfortunately didn't win but hey ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment